Certified Kitchen & Bath Designer® (CKBD) specialize in the design, planning and execution of residential kitchens and bathrooms. Furthermore, CKBD designers prove that specialized technical and communication skills are necessary to succeed as a certified designer.
CKBD applicants must document a minimum of five (5) years of experience. A minimum of two (2) years must be dedicated to full-time residential kitchen/bath design, including design execution or project management. The remaining three (3) years can consist of full-time kitchen/bath design or related industry experience.
All applicants must also earn a minimum of sixty (60) hours of NKBA education units or NKBA-approved college coursework. All sixty (60) hours must be completed before the candidate’s application for certification can be approved. Courses should be documented accurately on the application. Applicants must pass their AKBD exam prior to scheduling their CKBD exam.
How to Apply for Certification
- Review the Kitchen & Bath Certification Guidebook.
- Review the education and experience requirements to ensure your eligibility. You may contact Member Engagement at (800) 843-6522 to confirm your education hours. Visit the NKBA Store to enroll in courses or purchase study material.
- Complete the application and include all applicable college transcripts, work experience verification, client references, and professional affidavits.
- Include the application and exam fee: $875
- Once your application has been reviewed, you will receive an official notice regarding the status of your application.
The CKBD Exam
The CKBD application process consists of eight (8) design drawings (See Application) scored by expert certified kitchen and bath design professionals. Scoring is divided into the following content categories: graphics and presentation standards, design solution, elevation plan, mechanical plan, and construction plan. Applicants receiving a score of 75% or higher are permitted to sit for the CKBD Exam. Candidates do not receive a numerical score, and will only receive a pass/fail notification with a break down by the major content categories.
The CKBD Exam consists of 100 multiple-choice questions testing on both kitchen and bath competencies. The CKBD examination consists of four (4) major content categories:
- 40% Design Solution (Planning and Safety Floor Plan)
- 22% Specifications
- 21% Graphics and Presentation
- 17% Mechanical and Construction