In order to maintain the dignity of our profession, to assure public confidence in our industry, and to render proper service to individuals and the public, it is the duty of the owners, executives, and employees of each member firm of the National Kitchen & Bath Association to:
- Conduct all work and business affairs with fairness to all concerned, fidelity to clients and suppliers, and devotion to high ideals of personal honor;
- Accept compensation for a particular service or in particular business dealings from one source only, except with the full knowledge and consent of all interested persons;
- Make no false or misleading statements to the public, to employers, to employees, or to those with whom we maintain business relationships;
- Disclose all interest charges, carrying charges, and fees, and to uphold all laws and regulations pertaining to the business and professional activity;
- Assist the client in understanding and obtaining the full measure of the services and rights expressed or implied in contracts, agreements, or warranties;
- Conduct all business activity without prejudice as to an individual’s age, gender, race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, handicap, disability that cannot be reasonably accommodated, marital or domestic partnership status, sexual orientation, liability for service in the armed forces or other protected trait or class;
- Refrain from using unfair means to win professional advancement disseminating any malicious information concerning any person or firm; or using improper or questionable methods of soliciting professional work or sales; and
- Cooperate in advancing the kitchen and bathroom industry by voluntarily exchanging information and experience with fellow members and by contributing to the work of educational groups, schools, and public and trade press, without disclosing confidential matters.
These Standards of Conduct have been adopted to promote and maintain the highest standards of business conduct and professional service among the members of the NKBA. Adherence to these Standards of Conduct is required for membership in the Association and serves to assure public confidence in the integrity and service of its members.
For Certified Members
In order to maintain the dignity of our profession, assure public confidence in our industry, and render proper service to individuals and the public, it is the duty of each certified member to observe this Code of Professional Conduct.
The Certified Member Shall:
- Observe the highest standards of personal and professional conduct when dealing with clients.
- Pledge full support in upholding forthright business practices and maintaining a firm opposition to all unethical business practices.
- Clearly determine and define the entire project, services, and terms of agreement in writing.
- Continually strive for knowledge of applicable laws, building codes, statutes and ordinances, permit procedures and such rules and practices as required by communities, state/provinces in which he/she operates, and agrees to be bound by their laws and all other regulations controlling the industry.
- Strive to attain increased knowledge and skill through continuing education in kitchen or bathroom design, construction systems, business management, etc.
- Compete with others on an honorable and fair basis; not misrepresent services rendered by themselves or others not criticize the works of others, except on the basis of well-founded knowledge and fact.
- Show evidence or proof of ability to interpret architectural instructions from plans, drawings and specifications made under accepted architectural practices, as standardized by recognized professional groups.
- Adhere to a strict observance of all laws relative to the conduct of business, and shall not engage in any exploitation of clients, the Association, industry or profession, nor shall the member mislead the public through false advertising.
- Cooperate in every reasonable way with competitors and the NKBA for the betterment of the industry.
- Strictly adhere to the rules, laws, procedures and customs as set forth by the Board of Directors.
NKBA certified members shall adhere to this Code of Professional Conduct and shall, at the time of certification and annual renewal, attest to this Code.