The Certified Master Kitchen & Bath Designer® (CMKBD) is a program that recognizes noteworthy experience and achievements in the kitchen and bath industry. Candidates for CMKBD must possess their CKBD certification or CKD and CBD certification, and have two (2) years of experience beyond CKBD certification for a minimum of seven (7) years of industry experience.
Candidates applying for the CMKBD certification are required to have their CKBD certification prior to applying. Candidates must have two (2) years of experience beyond initial CKBD certification, for a minimum of seven (7) years of industry experience. Four (4) years of this additional experience must be from full-time kitchen/bath design.
All applicants must also earn a minimum requirement of NKBA education hours, NKBA-approved college coursework and/or CMKBD requirements. Education must be completed before the candidate’s application for certification can be approved. Courses should be documented accurately on the application.
The CMKBD candidate must have all requirements met in all four sections:
- Meet Functional Requirements — You must accomplish all of the following:
- Be an NKBA member in good standing
- Possess CKBD certification (or if received prior to July 1, 2016, CKD and CBD certification)
- Have an additional two (2) years of experience in the industry beyond the date of receiving the CKBD, meaning that CMKBDs must have a minimum of 7 years of industry experience; four (4) years of this additional experience must be from full-time kitchen/bath design work
- Earn a minimum of 100 hours of NKBA coursework, NKBA-approved college coursework and/or hours from the following (3) sections. Each activity from sections 2, 3, and 4 accounts for five NKBA Education Hours
- Engage with the Industry — In the past five years, you must have accomplished at least two of the following:
- Leadership activity in NKBA groups or events, such as a chapter officer, chapter committee member, council member, regional or national volunteer leader
- Activity in groups or events outside of the NKBA, such as by sitting on industry-related boards, participating in industry events
- Presentation at an NKBA event, such as KBIS Voices From The Industry conference, or a local chapter program
- Presentation at an event outside of the NKBA, such as an industry-related trade show or conference
- Design contest placement or honorable mention
- Published an industry-related projected in an NKBA publication or newsletter
- Published an industry-related projected in a publication outside of the NKBA
- Promote Professionalism — In the past five years, you must have accomplished at least one of the following:
- Promoted the value of professional kitchen and bath design services to increase consumer awareness via industry media outreach, such as a television or print interview, a show house display, a webinar, a promotional video, etc.
- Promoted the value of professional kitchen and bath design services to increase consumer awareness by presenting in-person or online to a consumer group or end user group
- Promoted the value of professional kitchen and bath design services to increase consumer awareness by publishing an article or blog post for consumer or end-user group
- Cultivate New Talent — In the past five years, you must have accomplished at least one of the following:
- Activity in an NKBA affiliated institution, such as an instructor, adjunct instructor, or an NKBA certified expert for a specific school’s program
- Offered internships to students of kitchen and bath industry-related programs
- Acted as a mentor to an up and coming designer or to a young kitchen and bath industry professional via a formal mentoring program
How to Apply for Certification
- Review the Kitchen & Bath Certification Guidebook. Then print the applicable pages for the certification you are seeking.
- Review the education and experience requirements to ensure your eligibility. You may contact Member Engagement at (800) 843-6522 to confirm your education hours. Visit the NKBA Store to enroll in courses
- Complete the application and include all applicable documentation
- Include the application fee of $459
- Once your application has been reviewed, you will receive an official notice regarding the status of your application
Click here to complete the CMKBD application.