Responsible for overall Veneer Plant operations. Supports the Company in meeting its production goals by managing the daily operations of the facility including scheduling shifts and employees, monitoring production and quality, maintenance, shipping, and recommending and planning changes and upgrades in the mill to remain competitive. Ensures a safe and efficient work environment by communicating and managing Company established quality, production, safety, and human resource policies.
• Manages production activities from raw material receiving to order shipment for the facility. Ensures adequate staff is scheduled, trained, and working to meet production goals. Uses continuous improvement tools and concepts to move the operation forward in safety, quality, productivity and customer service.
• Directly manages all supervisors and has overall management responsibility for the Veneer Plant operations and all mill employees. Employee management responsibilities include areas such as training, scheduling, employee and labor relations, conflict resolution, issuing discipline and conducting performance evaluations. Directs and leads employees to ensure maximum production efficiencies, minimal equipment downtime for maintenance and repair, and product quality assurance.
• Ensures that all Company and OSHA safety standards are being followed to provide a safe work environment for all employees and visitors.
• Monitors and assesses product quality and appearance. Works with staff to develop, improve, and implement quality control procedures. Oversees employee training programs to maintain and improve quality.
• Ensures compliance with all Federal, State and Company policies, including environmental regulations.
• Works with sales on customer service, new products, and on time shipment requirements.
• Oversees external veneer sales to the market.
• Leads Plant efforts for capital project identification and implementation.
• Works with the Finance Department to develop financial statements, capital plans, and production reports to provide recommendations for future capital requirements, product costing, upgrades, equipment changes, and staffing.
• Completes administrative reporting related to production, scheduling, quality control, inventory, maintenance, personnel actions, timekeeping and safety.
• BA/BS degree in production management, engineering or other technical field with a minimum of 5 years of mill manufacturing management experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Must be able to communicate well both verbally and in writing with all levels of the organization.
• Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, representatives from government agencies, and associated companies. Must be able to work independently with limited supervision. Must be able to work in a team environment and produce results in conjunction with fellow team members. Experience in a union setting preferred.
• Attention to detail and the ability to conduct work in a timely, accurate, and organized manner are required. Requires the ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in complex situations while maintaining production goals.
• Must have functional computer skills, including the ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel and email at intermediate level and the ability to learn and use company specific software.