Ensure the timely availability of component material and finished goods. Provide day-to-day leadership to a team of multiple Buyers, and 1 Purchasing Coordinator. Support Product Development and Engineering to ensure optimum supplier selection and early supplier involvement in the development process as well as smooth transitions of new products for OEM and Production.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide leadership, development, and coaching to Purchasing Team and oversee daily activities of direct reports.
• Establish and maintain supplier relationships leading to optimum total cost.
• Guide Buyers to follow processes on purchasing, planning, changes, forecasting and maintain adequate inventory levels.
• Develop and improve purchasing processes to reduce transactional costs and to gain departmental efficiencies. Act as a lead change agent to assimilate to new processes and systems as required.
• Prepare& review OEM contracts & pricing.
• Manage Projects of OEM introduction to include product selection, supplier recommendation, tooling design, budgeting, CAR preparation, ECR request preparation, BOM recommendations, 1st article approval process, sample testing etc.
• Function as point of contact for issues of product status, product quantities, and time of delivery.
• Direct and coordinate activities of personnel engaged in buying production materials, components, equipment, supplies, and services.
• Locate vendor of materials, equipment or supplies, and interview them to determine product availability and terms of sales.
• Continuously seek reliable vendors or suppliers to provide quality goods at reasonable prices.
• Negotiate prices, contracts and examine bids and make awards, negotiate purchase agreements.
• Establish accounts, credit and terms.
• Monitors team to ensure accuracy of requisitions for appropriate approval and account numbers.
• Point of escalation for delinquent arrivals from purchase orders.
• Negotiate blanket purchase orders when appropriate and monitor cost during the time period.
• Establish standard purchasing practices and procedures, and ensure compliance.
• Reviewing technical specifications for raw materials, components, equipment or supplies.
• Participate in the development of specifications for equipment, products or substitute materials.
• Analyze market and delivery systems to assess present and future material availability.
• Create and update statistical data, spreadsheets, reports, and charts to identify product availability, sales order demands, customer priorities, and product allocation to meet customer demands. Analyze product inventories against open purchase order. Produce master and specific schedules for production to meet delivery dates based on product inventories and anticipated manufacturing shipments.
EDUCATION & WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
• College Degree, B.S. or B.A in Business, Management, Supply Chain, or related discipline
• 5 to 7 years of experience in purchasing is required in manufacturing setting
• A minimum of 5 years of managerial experience
• Experience in ERP systems a MUST
• APICS or CPM certification preferred
• Understanding of LEAN concepts
• Ample experience negotiating contracts for goods and services with emphasis on cost reduction
SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Must be well organized and attentive to detail and accuracy.
• High proficiency of Microsoft Office Suite(Excel, Word, and PowerPoint)
• Must have excellent and clear communication skills both verbal and written.
• Must be able to interact and communicate in a positive manner with resources at all levels of the organization.
OTHER POSITION INFORMATION
• Physical/Mental Demands (Essential Functions): Ability to access and observe all areas of facility. Ability to handle multiple and changing priorities/deadlines and moderate stress. Ability to communicate with others.
• Physical/Mental Demands (Non-Essential Functions): Bending, stretching, reaching, and lifting
• Travel: will be required for training, attend business meetings, and vendor visits.