The newly inducted class offers its top finds at KBIS. By Dianne M. Pogoda
There are literally thousands of new products that make their debuts at the Kitchen & Bath Industry Show, and scouring a million square feet of space to find a few special items is quite a feat.
NKBA’s Thirty Under 30 Class of 2020 tackled that task as part of their official initiation.
The 2020 class was divided into 10 teams of three to find their top KBIS product in one of ten categories that are among the buzziest in the business: Innovative Material, Sustainability, Decorative Plumbing, Outdoor Living, Smart Home Integration, Customization, Living In Place, Wellness, Color and Decorative Hardware. Winners were announced on Wednesday, Jan. 23, on the KBIS NeXT Stage. Matthew Ferrarini, principal designer for Ferrarini & Co. and a member of the inaugural class of Thirty Under 30 in 2013, hosted the awards ceremony.
The Thirty Under 30 initiative is generously sponsored by Signature Kitchen Suite.
Winners of the 30s Choice include:
- Innovative Material: Caesarstone Outdoor Collection, for its unique
countertop that’s rated for outdoor use.
- Sustainability: Compac Stone USA – Unique Quartz, which reuses 95% of the water in the manufacturing process, resulting in a 40% energy reduction. It also uses a corn-based resin, which is eco-friendlier than petroleum-based resins that are typically used.
- State of the Art Decorative Plumbing: Kohler – DTV Plus Konnect, a unit that brings technology into the shower, allowing for temperature and water-flow control via voice or touch interface, and its sleek design works with all interior styles.
- Outdoor Living: Hestan Commercial Corp. – Outdoor Living Suites, for its integrated outdoor island that’s all commercial-grade for weather-withstanding durability.
- Smart Home Integration/Wi-Fi Enabled Product: Samsung – SmartThings App, a whole-house integration hub that supports 1,500 different products and interfaces, to centralize control of the connected home.
- Customization Capabilities: Axor – MyEdition, the high-end line from Hansgrohe offers customization of the top plate and bottom portions of fixtures. With 15 different metal finishes and numerous materials, like leather, also available, the system allows for some 225 design options.
- Universal Design/Living In Place: Toto – Neorest NX2, a dual-flush toilet that’s ADA compliant, has numerous comfort and hygiene features, remote control, sensor lid operation and cleaning technology, in a universal eight and sleek design.
- Wellness/Health: Kohler – Aquifier Filtration System, with a double cartridge system that uses eco-friendly coconut shells in the filter, and removes contaminants to make drinking filtered water easier and more accessible for more people.
- Creative Use of Color: Kraus – Urbix Bridge Faucet with ColorSmart Technology. The faucet has a matte black finish when not in use, but changes color to reflect when the water running is hot, warm, cool or cold.
- State of the Art Decorative Hardware: Emtek – Emtek Select, chosen for its customization ability to make door and cabinet hardware in multiple finishes that complement any décor.
The NKBA Thirty Under 30 Class of 2020 includes: Amber Fowler; Anna Violand; Ariana Lovato, AKBD; Bonnie Schmitz; Candis Warren-Ashurst; Carolyn Elleman; David Berens; Drew Newman; Emily Tomek, AKBD; Fabian Cabrera; Hannah Harrington; Jennifer Hutton; Jensen Landers; Jonnette Vandehey, AKBD; Joseph DeCasperis; Julie Russi; Karina Gaft; Kelly McDermott, AKBD; Kylee Chatham; Mackenzie Elliott; Mark Stapperfenne; Markie Tuckett; Michelle Sauer; Morgan Chiarelly; Nicole Galera; Ryan Smith; Samantha Souders; Sarah Nielsen; Sarah Pierce, AKBD, and Stassa Mullen.
The NKBA Thirty Under 30 program is now entering its ninth year and recognizes accomplished kitchen and bath professionals under the age of 30. Each year’s class comprises emerging leaders from throughout the industry and is widely regarded as the leading showcase for the brightest young talent working in kitchen and bath design and remodeling. Nominations for the Class of 2021, which will be honored at KBIS in Orlando Feb. 9-11, will open this summer. For more information or to nominate a rising star, go to nkba.org/info/initiatives/thirty-under-30 or e-mail email@example.com.